Kathryn M. York Adapted Aquatics Center
The Kathryn M. York Adapted Aquatics Center is located at the Wilson Family Y. It is dedicated to improving the quality of life of individuals with physical and/or developmental challenges. The facility, also known as "Katie's Pool," was built to honor the life and work of Katie York, a Y employee whose young life was cut short by a seizure disorder. Prior to her death in 2008, Katie inspired those around her with her faith, determination and dedication to serving others with disabilities through the adapted aquatics program. It was through the out-pouring of grief and support from her family, friends and the community that the necessary funds were raised to build the state-of-the-art center which opened June 2, 2010, on what would have been Katie's 23rd birthday. Since its opening, the lives of more than 1,000 individuals per month have been strengthened through the programs offered in Katie's Pool.
Katie's Pool is a 33 x 60-foot, shallow and deep-water therapy pool with a zero-entry, 42 ft. wheelchair ramp in the shallow end. Special features include specially adapted changing rooms with a lift system to accommodate challenged individuals. The pool utilizes a state-of-the-art UV sanitation system, ideal for those with illnesses that are adversely affected by standard chlorine filtration systems.
Financial assistance is available for all Family Y programs.
Programs offered in Katie's Pool
- Adapted Evaluation- A 30-minute initial and annual evaluation which includes medical history and water assessment. Cost: $25 for Family Y members and non-members. Call 706-922-9664 to schedule (required for use of Katie's Pool).
- Adapted Special Populations- Individual 30-minute, one-on-one class for physically and developmentally challenged individuals of all ages. Specially trained staff use swimming and aquatic fitness skills to improve the participant's independence and quality of life. Participants work on shallow and deep water skills that improve flexibility, trunk stability, balance, range of motion, muscle coordination, muscle strength and body control. Appointments are necessary - call 706-922-9664 to schedule. Cost: Family Y members, $10 per 30-minute session; non-members, $20 per 30-minute session.
- BlazeSports Swim Team- Swim team for all ages of physically challenged swimmers to train for competition. This program is part of the BlazeSports Clubs of America training for future Paralympians. Practice last 45 minutues - call 706-922-9664 for practice schedule. Cost: Family Y members, $30 per month; non-members, $40 per month.
- Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Aquatic Classes- A 50-minute group water aerobics class designed specifically for ambulatory participants affected by Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson's Disease. This class is sponsored by the CSRA Parkinson Support Group, MCG and the Family Y. Cost: Free to Family Y members; $3 per class for non-members.
- Open Rehab- Specific pool times for individuals to perform their own maintenance or rehabilitation program. An annual evaluation is required. Call 706-922-9664 to schedule evaluation. This is a members-only benefit. Open Rehab times: Monday - Saturday, 7:00 - 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 - 2:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Adapted Pool Parties - A 2-hour private party in Katie's Pool for individuals and their guests affected by physical and/or developmental challenges with a party room provided. Specific party times are available. Call 706-922-9664 to reserve your party.